Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cloth Wipes & Solutions

If you're a cloth diapering mama, it makes sense to use cloth wipes as well. First of all, you can then throw your dirty wipes and diapers into the same place prior to washing rather than needing both a garbage can for wipes and a pail or wetbag for dirty diapers. Secondly, using cloth diapers eliminates chemicals so why use subject your child's bum to chemicals in disposable wipes? I will admit that when I started cloth diapering, the idea of cloth wipes seemed weird so I stuck with sposie wipes at first. Then it got annoying to need to cans in the nursery: one with a garbage bag for wipes and another lined with a pail liner for the diapers. So I bought a sampler pack of cloth wipes and gave it a whirl.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it only took 2 cloth wipes to clean a poopy tush when it normally took at least 6 sposie wipes for that! I wasn't convinced that just water was enough to clean J's butt though, so I did dabble in making my own wipe solution from a recipe I found online. The recipe called for 2 cups of water, 2 drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of baby soap. Something in that solution caused J to break out in a diaper rash, plus it quickly smelled rancid so I abandoned that and stuck with just water for awhile. I also purchased more cloth wipes made on etsy because I found a pack of 25 for just $10. You can use cheapie baby washcloths for wipes though!

Poop is sometimes tough to completely clean off with only water, however, so I decided to try some wipe solution that is pre-made. The owner of Mama's Emporium sent me a sample of Punkin Butt wipe spray to try and I must say that it is pretty cool stuff. I dampen a wipe first then spray some of the wipe solution onto it, then wa-la, I have a toddler with a clean fresh-smelling tush. This wipe solution comes in a spray bottle and is pretty convenient for things like going to the park. I just travel with it in my Planet Wise wetbag front zipper and spray it right onto a dry wipe when I need to change J in the park. AND the ingredients in this spray have not caused J to get a rash at all as opposed to when I tried to make my own solution. Will I buy more of this stuff? Absolutely!

Click here to visit Mama's Emporium

No comments:

Post a Comment