Monday, July 30, 2012

Fun With Food

From the time he was a baby on solids, J was destined to be a gourmet baby. J was blessed with me as a mama, a true foodie :) I was always big on giving him a good base of healthy solids and didn't introduce him to any kind of junk for a long time. Once he started on finger food, I steamed all his veggies in the Aroma food steamer that I own, or would microwave some stream fresh frozen veggies from the supermarket. And he got some other exciting foods like diced leg of lamb and cubes of fun cheeses such as Havarti and Wisconsin cheddar.

After J hit the 1 year mark, I got a little more brave with cooking. Rather than just steaming everything, I started to experiment: first with sauteing, then sauteing and adding simple spices, then roasting, then marinating and grilling veggies. Yes, both J and I are veggie lovers. J was never that big on fruit or sweets but give the boy some zucchini and he will love you forever. Of course he does love his meats too and I leave the cooking of meats to J's grandpa and daddy, although I do marinate and steam, bake or  broil fish for us.

I know I am lucky because J is not a very picky toddler. Right now he is anti-cheese, unless it is on melted in a sandwich like wholewheat grilled cheese, and anti-chocolate which I am totally fine with. I thought it'd be fun to share some of his favorite foods. If you have other foods that your little ones love, please share; I love finding new ideas for meals and/or sides!


  • whole wheat french toast 
  • whole wheat grilled cheese
  • sauteed spinach with fresh garlic
  • grilled eggplant
  • yogurt with fresh fruit
  • sweet potato fries
  • baked sweet potato
  • pan-fried zucchini breaded with whole wheat bread crumbs
  • cubed watermelon
  • cubed cantaloupe
  • cheerios
  • avocado
  • broiled salmon
  • lamb in any way, shape or form

No comments:

Post a Comment